The aim of our PE curriculum is to provide an inclusive and rich experience for children to develop their skills in physical activity, enabling them to understand the importance of exercise and having a healthy lifestyle.
Our values within PE are underpinned by the six school games values which include:
Passion, Self-Belief, Respect, Honesty, Determination and Teamwork – were developed by young people to recognise how the experience of sport should be incorporated within schools and sports events to reflect the 'spirit' of the School Games.
PASSION: Giving it 100 per cent. Put your heart and soul into the game and never give up. Passion makes you enter the race and passion makes you finish it.
SELF-BELIEF: You’ve got to believe to achieve. Have the self-belief and confidence to succeed and reach your personal best.
RESPECT: Show respect for the referee, for the opposition, for your teammates, for yourself and for the game. Accepting victory and defeat with grace, treating others politely and with understanding. Have respect every day, in every sport and for everyone.
HONESTY: Be honest with others and with yourself. Have the courage to do the right thing and what you know is right.
DETERMINATION: Keep going no matter what. Determination is about the journey you go on to push yourself and achieve your dreams. Have the mental strength and self-discipline to overcome obstacles, commit to your goals and keep working every day to become the very best you can be. Don’t hold back!
TEAMWORK: Treating everyone equally, supporting each other and working together to have fun and achieve. Celebrate each other’s success and be a positive team player.
How do we achieve this?
- Doing 2 hours of PE each week
- Making the most of opportunities for group work and discussion
- Taking part in competition within and outside of school
- Year group and school sporting events
- Working with external PE specialists
- Using a range of indoor and outdoor space
- Having a range of PE apparatus
At Mount Pleasant Primary School we pride ourselves on offering a range of sporting activities both in and out of school hours for a wide range of abilities and age ranges. We offer sports that the children enjoy taking part in order to improve and build on their skills and ability. Our children also take part in inter school tournaments across Kirklees.
In KS1 children take part in many topic themed PE lessons that develop their fine and gross motor skills e.g. throwing and catching, gymnastics, dance and invasion skills.
In KS2 they continue to progress in all areas and have a wide choice of activities and tournaments such as hockey, rugby, basketball, dodgeball, athletics and swimming.
In addition to in school activities we currently have several after school clubs e.g. dodgeball, running and dance that many children attend and thoroughly enjoy.
We value PE and as a school we recognise that it can:
- Encourage children to take an active role in sports and physical activities outside of school
- Encourage a healthy and balanced diet to maintain health and fitness
- Allow children to gain an understanding of how the body works and what to do in order to get the best out of their bodies
- Allow skills to develop across all aspects of life; like hand eye coordination, ability to work within team and even allow the child to learn how and when they need help with something.